For those that know me, (AND my family), you know that we are HUGE popcorn lovers. From an early age, I was taught how to make my dad’s air popped popcorn just right for his evening snack. (Can’t say I was happiest person when asked to do this chore, but alas, I did it!)
As most of you know by now, microwave popcorn, even the low fat varieties, can be a health nightmare. (YES, even the low fat and fat free ones!). Loaded with palm kernel oil, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, food colors and dye, and packaged in wrappers containing perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA), (the chemical found in teflon pots and pans), this America favorite is doing you and your bodies no good!
I think we can all agree that homemade popcorn is better for us right? Ok good!
Here are 3 ways to make homemade popcorn (which truthfully, do not take much extra time at all, I promise!)
- Use air popper, just throw those kernels in!
- On the stove in a pot, add kernels with a few tablespoons of canola oil
- or put desired amount of kernels in a brown paper lunch bag, spray with olive or canola oil from a mister (Check out the one I have here!) and fold down bag a few times. Pop on your microwave setting in microwave.
Now time for the toppings!
Here are some butter/oil suggestions for you along with a list of yummy toppings to sprinkle on!
– Good ol fashioned unsalted butter*
– Kerrygold butter (from grassfed cows) (Suggested by fellow RD Laura Tobias at http://nwcrossfit.com/paleohealth/!)
– Olive oil, Canola, avocado, or coconut oil*
(Not a huge fan of spray margarine’s loaded with chemicals, ESPECIALLY for kids).
Time to get creative! You can mix and match any of these depending on your mood!
– Sea salt* (I just really like the taste of it)
– Black pepper
– Garlic (who doesn’t love garlic?)
– Chili powder
– Mrs. Dash seasonings
– Parmesan cheese
– Italian seasonings
The sky is the limit!
Comment below on your favorite seasoning on popcorn!
I asked some of my RDN colleagues what some of their favorite concoctions are and I loved this response from Michele Redmond, RD Chef and Taste Coach at the Taste Workshop.
“I love mine drizzled with a French style olive oil (buttery notes), cracked pepper and smoked salt or drizzled with unrefined coconut oil, pinches of Allepo chile powder and squeezes of fresh lime, pinches of fine sea salt.”
(Sounds yummy doesn’t it?!?)
I challenge you to make your own popcorn this weekend when its time to pop that movie in! Have each person add his/her own toppings on their bowl. Do a taste test to see who has the best tasting bowl!
* Keep in mind some of these toppings may not be the best for individuals with high cholesterol levels or high blood pressure. Ask your friendly neighborhood Dietitian if you have any questions!
* Want to learn more about healthy eating? Check out my 8 week weight loss class at St. Xavier starting September 30th OR my 6 week Jumpstart weight loss program at the Fall Run to the Pub!